One of our most successful programs at the WSCC is the Expressive Arts program. In this program clients have the opportunity to participate in various art activities and outings. Two years ago we gave responsibility for the program to our Jesuit Volunteer as part of their annual service. Under the direction of Barb Taylor, Chelsea Evankye (last year)and Emily Keating (this year) have done an outstanding job with the various classes and activities.
Since January the group has gone on outings to :
- Cleveland Museum of Art
- Not By Bread Alone – Playhouse Square
- Groundworks Dance Performance
- Flashdance the Musical
- Cleveland International Film Festival – Shorts program
- Trinity Commons Brownbag lunch concerts – Jazz piano & CSU wind ensemble
Art Classes have included :
- Mosaic Coaster at the Crafty Goodness in Lakewood
- Decoupage Heart boxes
- Jewelry making – earrings and bracelets
- Silk Painting with the Beck Center
- Alcohol Ink Coasters & Greeting Cards
We continue to have a monthly Drumming Circle and the weekly Creative Writing sessions and Yoga classes attract longtime as well as new members.
Plans for April through June include:
- Theater outing: Ancestra at Cleveland Public Theater
- Tri-C Jazz Festival
- Near West Theater’s final performance Move On
- Art House print making outing
- Stained glass tour & art class at St Ignatius Chapel
- Watercolor art class in drop in center
The whole program culminates in the Expressive Arts Show which is held in July. It is always a wonderful evening to share with clients, volunteers and friends. We will share more details about the show as they become available.
We are blessed by our Jesuit Volunteers. Their enthusiasm and creativity always add so much to the WSCC. We miss each one when they leave knowing they will always have a special home here.
As always, thank you for reading,